The Five Dragon Gods (五神竜 Goshinryū) are a group of originally six tremendously powerful Dragons that inhabit the northern continent of Guiltina, with the remaining five after the death of Dogramag each stated to rival the might of Acnologia.
The Five Dragon Gods have existed since the year X633 at the latest, the same year that the first Mage Guild, Magia Dragon, was created. They gained the description of "gods" due to the fear they struck in the humans who overheard their evil deeds over time, as well as each individual Dragon's insurmountable strength, said to rival (and later surpass) that of Acnologia, one of the most powerful and feared beings in Earth Land. The sixth Dragon God, Dogramag, was considered the weakest of the group but still an overly strong Dragon compared to his peers in the magic world.
In the past, the Five Dragon Gods fled to Guiltina in order to escape Acnologia, only to later figure out that their powers continuously grew even beyond the Dragon King himself. The dragon gods remain stationary unless something "big" occurs, upon which they could potentially create a calamity. Consequently, due to the possibility of them clashing and mutually killing one another, they all kept each other in check through these means given another party could gain something from their demise. Because of their hidden existence and lack of involvement in the Dragon King Festival, very few people have known of their existence; among those who are aware are a select few in the Magic Council. The five Gods have not all met together at once, leading them to not know everything about one another or even their whereabouts, given that Mercphobia himself did not know much of anything of Viernes.
The five of them are all implied by Ignia to possess a form of Transformation Magic, allowing them to assume a human form with a likeness to their Dragon counterpart, albeit weaker but still at a high-tier of power. It has been noted that while Dragons have the ability to transform to an extent, it is not as common given powerful Dragons such as Igneel never used Transformation Magic.
Originally, the Five Dragon Gods were known as the Six Dragon Gods (六神竜 Rokushinryū) that included the Earth Dragon God Dogramag, but after a strife with Elefseria that eventually led to Dogramag devouring his heart, he was murdered by latter. It was thereafter these events the group was later coined as the Five Dragon Gods. After Elefseria's effort to subdue them by learning Dragon Slayer Magic was met with failure, he requested powerful mages from other guilds to carry out the task of sealing them away. Prior to Team Natsu's acceptance of the job, 98 failed attempts have been made over the course of at least 160 years, with only Gildarts Clive managing to return from the mission alive after being maimed by Acnologia (who he mistook for a Dragon God), causing him to realize the hopelessness of defeating them.
- Aldoron: The largest of Dragon Gods who "commands life", possessing the ability to read the minds of others and absorb the nutrients from the living. Known as the "Wood Dragon God", his size is unrivaled to the point that the largest city of Guiltina rests in the palms of his hands. His powers are connected to five orbs that are represented by five guardian deities known as God Seeds that act as protection to Aldoron once awaken, given he was healing from a battle with Acnologia that spawned centuries ago.
- Ignia: The son of the Fire Dragon King Igneel, who fostered the orphan child Natsu in conjunction with Zeref's plan. Known as the "Fire Dragon God" for his intense fire, he eventually learned of Acnologia's death at the hands of Natsu and other Dragon Slayers; Natsu being the one he wishes to challenge to a fight to the death to test his own strength.
- Mercphobia: A large serpent-like Dragon who controls the Water Capital of Ermina and is worshipped as a protector god to its citizens. Known as the "Water Dragon God" for his voluminous water capability, he eventually came across a human girl named Karameel who he grew fond of and later took captivity of her as his assistant.
- Selene: The lone female among the other Dragon Gods. Known as the "Moon Dragon God", her powers revolve around the stars, the moon, and the power of transportation between worlds, being monikered as the "Dragon that crosses dimensions". Wanting to destroy the other Dragon Gods before they came to kill her, she sought and forced Faris into an ultimatum of destroying the other gods and the reduction of Magic Power in Earth Land or the claiming of Elentear for her own; a different dimension where Magic Power is overabundant in comparison to Earth Land and Edolas, something that she began to liken and eventually come around to conquer regardless of Faris' actions.
- Dogramag: A powerful Dragon but the weakest member compared to the others who were similarly monikered by humans as "gods". Known as the "Earth Dragon God", he was apart of the original six members that were at the time coined the name the "Six Dragon Gods", but was later murdered by Elefseria in X693 in exchange for devouring the Law Dragon's heart. His remains and Magic Power post-mortem became so radiant and powerful that it combined with the land and created an everlasting underground maze known as Great Labyrinth of Dogra, said to be searched by adventurers and Mages alike for its spoils.
- The Dragon Gods were originally mentioned by August who claimed they blessed God Serena with power, only for God Serena to then claim that neither they nor Dragon kings exist.
- The Five Dragon Gods elements originate from the days of "The Seven Luminaries", which are the meaning behind the days of the week from Japanese culture:
- Monday is "Moon Day".
- Tuesday is "Fire Day".
- Wednesday is "Water Day".
- Thursday is "Wood Day".
- Friday is "Gold Day".
- Saturday is "Earth Day".